NFL Domestic Violence Petition




Many of you may have or may not have noticed a petition going around that says something like "Let's get the NFL to wear purple in honor of Domestic Violence" I would like to take some time out to explain a little more about the petition. As some of you may know my name is Nicole Lofton and I am the founder of Faithful Deeds Foundation I am also the creator of the NFL Domestic Violence petition.

I realize that there as been some talk about whether this petition was the right thing to do, some people say that I am leaving out all the other sports league that may have players that have been involved in Domestic Violence incidents, some say that the NFL is not important when it comes to Domestic Violence, some say that my argument is not valid and well some say that it is simply just a waste of time. 

Well, today I am here to address and respond to those concerns. You see first and foremost, I would like to make the statement that this petition is NOT and repeat NOT an attack on the NFL. I actually love the football, which leads me to my second point. It was my PERSONAL choice and I have that choice to petition the NFL first, yes I could have started with another league or I could have even petitioned ALL of them at the SAME time but that is not what I wanted to do. I petitioned the NFL not only because they have players in their league that have had Domestic Violence cases(which is very important to note) but because I feel like the NFL could play a major role in bringing and raising awareness of Domestic Violence on a NATIONAL level(which Domestic Violence really deserves). 

The NFL wears pink for Breast Cancer awareness which is there personal choice and I respect that because I care about Breast Cancer awareness as well, in fact I have family members who are breast cancer survivors. So I support that wholeheartedly but the truth is that Domestic Violence Awareness and Breast Cancer Awareness as well as Bully Awareness(which does not get as much attention either) are all in the same month, so my question is why not raise awareness for them all? Domestic Violence is overshadowed constantly and it is time for it to come to the forefront because Breast Cancer is not the only thing that kills, Domestic Violence does too. 

The NFL employs players who have been charged in Domestic Violence cases, I am not saying that the NFL does not educate their players on Domestic Violence but what I am saying is that there needs to be more. I am looking at the BIGGER picture, I am looking towards the FUTURE. May I share the bigger picture that I see with you all? Thanks in advance, The bigger picture that I see is this:

Imagine NFL players wearing purple in honor of Domestic Violence, do you know how many people watch the NFL games?? BILLIONS of people watch those games. So imagine this with me, imagine how it can have an impact on EVERYONE. People who are watching will be wondering why do they have on purple? They know about pink already but why purple? Imagine what this would do for the players, now they are actually WEARING PURPLE and it has a meaning, they know they meaning now they are REPRESENTING Domestic Violence Awareness as they play, this can really make them think..then you will probably hear statistics and stories, people may start researching, etc it will SPREAD AWARENESS! Education is important as well, its important to know how Domestic Violence affects everyone so YES, YES I am calling on the NFL to take a stand not only with me, but to the 585 people that have signed this petition already!!! In 2011-2012 I am proud to say I have been seeing more people take a stand for Domestic Violence, than in previous years. 

I am asking all the readers and the NFL to take a stand with us and for us! Take a stand that says no matter what, Domestic Violence will not be tolerated! Take a stand on education for Domestic Violence! Take a stand for those who are being abused right now and feel like they cannot get out, take a stand for those who have died due to domestic violence, last but not least take a stand for the SURVIVORS who are brave enough to take a stand! If you all would take a look at the petition, you will see people have shared their stories about what they have decided to sign the petition, they have shared the stories about their own personal experiences. 

This is not about money, I am not asking anyone or the NFL for any money. I am just simply asking for help to raise awareness, I am just asking the NFL to wear purple for Domestic Violence Awareness just like they have worn Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, that is all. Take a stand with us please. I am a survivor of Domestic Violence myself, I know how it is to be controlled, to be ridiculed, embarrassed, to lose yourself, to not feel love, to be hopeless, to not know if you are going to live, to be scared. I know what it feels like but I also know how to feels to be FREE! TO Escape a unhealthy relationship, to love myself again, to understand who I am, to follow my dreams, to learn to love someone else, to know that I am not who my abuser or others said I was and I want to give that same hope and message to the people who are experiencing Domestic Violence RIGHT now. We can do that by spreading awareness and being transparent but we have to work together. 

So I humbly ask that you please share this and that you at least consider signing the petition. I do want to humbly thank EVERYBODY that has signed, that has shared on all the social networks. I also want to thank the organization "Real Men Don't Abuse Anymore!" for all they have done for this petition as well. Thank you to people all over the world who are signing from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc. I see all of it and I empowered my all the stories, I shed tears every time I see a story on the petition. Domestic Violence happens to men and women! This is OUR petition! Lets take a stand! We have to start somewhere and I have chosen to start with the NFL, it we can accomplish this then we can take actions towards others things. God Bless you all. 

Sign the petition here:

Comments

  1. Hi Nicole. Great article - great petition - great idea and overall concept. I'm the co-host of D-Talks Radio with Denise Brown & Danielle Pierre and I have to say, I support and agree with this 100%! The NFL getting involved would have an amazing impact on awareness and prevention as well as getting more men involved. Great PR for them considering the open cases some of their players have -- shows that they care and are doing something about it. This needs to happen.

    Would like to connect with you and discuss a few things re this effort. Please contact me at danielle@dtalksradio.com at your convenience. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you!

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fri Sept 14 12 Purple is also the colour for Animal Abuse Awareness. Get Michael Vick to wear it!!!!!!!!!! Vancouver Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 Seppt 14 12 boycott all sick vick has to do with........ thx I AM Purple for Animal Abuse Awareness & Orange for Animal Cruelty Awareness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Domestic Violence is swept under the rug because people don't like to talk about negative things going on in their lives. But that is how we heal as a nation, by addressing the issues that are causing pain and grief. When we create awareness, and work together, everyone benefits. Those who are hurting other's, have been hurt themselves. We are all from different backgrounds but we all want to be loved. I have written a book, "Abuse Is No Accident, It's Definitely On Purpose" to create awareness and to promote healing ang forgiveness. The book is for everyone, even Police Officers, Judges, and Magistrates. If you read it, Please email me at merna42@yahoo.com. I am working with women in my area to create awareness. Your petition is a wonderful idea! Stay strong, and keep pressing forward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this effort. I am a survivor of years of domestic violence by the hands of my ex-husband, an NFL sports writer. Often he wrote about players getting arrested for beating their wives on the same day that he was beating his. The stories aren't new, but the problem is wide spread and our society is still struggling with how to handle it. Read my story at www.bruisedwoman.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story, I will check out your blog.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for what you are doing! I'm 19 years old and I have gotten the high school in my home town to wear purple for October the last 4 years! I'm glad that someone else feels that the NFL should do the same. My mom was killed by my dad when I was 12 so I am trying to spread the awareness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about your mom Haylee, I am sure her spirit lives through you and it and you are strong. God Bless you.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nicole,

    This is an amazing and important venture and I wish you the best of luck! I have added this to our prayer group list! I will spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Signed it! Thanks so much for bringing attention to this great cause and spreading the word!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for all of your support, together we can make this happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a survivor by Police. Many years ago, I decided to write my story of the cover up within the Philadelphia Police Department and the Pennsylvania State Police and the courts. I may have never received the justice through the courts but....I continue forward to help others. Bless you, I pray our NFL here in Philadelphia can help many survivors in a better DV Shelters.

    God bless you and the work you do.

    Warmly,

    Rosaura Torres

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for sharing your story, Rosaura and thanks for your support. God Bless you as well.

      Delete
  11. Thank You all so much for all of you all's support, I couldn't do this without you all

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blessings to you for your stance against domestic violence. If there is anything we can do to help please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to let women know that there are great people out there, ready to help you like they helped me. After my boyfriend got mad at me, I was left with half the face damaged. I met Deborah Alessi and she offered me hope. Today i am recovering but i feel already a new beginning. Get the help you deserve...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deborah Alessi is well-known personality to take care about women and kids against domestic issues.


    Deborah Alessi

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been wanting to do this for a long time but did not know how to get started. As a survivor of domestic violence and a huge football fan I would love to see them wear purple as well. I believe this would be the most effective way to get the topic into the households of millions of people. If it could make one person think twice about the abuse they are doing, let a survivor know she/he is not alone, or open up conversation with our children then it is worth it. Please sign this petition! Thank you so much for taking your time to get this started!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Although the problem is not ended, it is a good way to inspire and educate people about the dangers of domestic violence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A PRAYER FOR VICTIMS, SURVIVORS, AND ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Domestic Violence and Alcohol (Guest Post)

When People Don't Believe You